Projects

Jewellery projects

I've finally got round to documenting a couple of jewellery projects.

Go gander or glare at ring and cufflinks.

Submitted by jeff on Sun, 04/08/2007 - 01:14. categories [ ]

Introduction

I am attempting to modify a laser printer to print toner directly to copper clad board. I'm quite excited about it, because it could be better than quite a few things...

categories [ ]

Blue Paua Cufflinks

My second stone setting project (well, shell I suppose) was a pair of silver cufflinks bezel set with Blue Paua shell from New Zealand. It's also known as Blue Abalone.

Opal Ring

This was my first attempt at a stone setting project. I got it wrong repeatedly, but unfortunately didn't take enough photos, instead making it look like I knew what I was doing!

I'm an idiot

Things are progressing rather slowly as my 3rd year project takes up more time. I was on the brink of keeping the printer happy through a complete print when suddenly the transfer belt lift clutch, cleaning roller cam clutch and feed motor all stopped working! I looked at the paper feed PCB, to which they are all connected and saw a small axial component the size of a standard resistor but without colour bands with "FU101" on the silkscreen.

Submitted by jeff on Sat, 04/07/2007 - 15:47. categories [ ]

Overprint frustration

I discovered a piece of software called Scribus. It is an open source desktop publishing program, and it allows one to work in CMYK space. I made a document with a black square made from 100%K and a "400% black" square, made from 100% of C,M,Y and K. Scribus allows you to use ICC colour profiles and display what your printer will actually print. I downloaded the 4550's colour profile from HP, plugged it into Scribus and sure enough the black square was lighter than the 400% black square.

Submitted by jeff on Sat, 03/24/2007 - 17:24. categories [ ]

Mark 3

I decided to buy a colour laser printer to experiment with, as I suspected that I could print blacker with one. They print four times (CMYK) onto a transfer belt, then transfer the image from the belt to the paper (circuit board). So potentially I can have four layers of toner deposited without any alignment problems.

Submitted by jeff on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 16:18. categories [ ]

First usable PCB!

The first usable PCB is printed, etched and assembled!

Submitted by jeff on Thu, 03/15/2007 - 16:02. categories [ ]

More measurements

As discussed last time, I needed to get some more solid data for the alignment.  Here it is:

 

Submitted by jeff on Tue, 03/13/2007 - 17:20. categories [ ]

Alignment tests

I need to get some idea of what's causing the vertical misalignment (I'm calling the driven axis vertical, as in a portrait page). Last night I did some tests. I  printed a horizontal line near the top of the board and measured the distance to the edge. Measurements were performed with a vernier caliper to a measuring accuracy of about +-0.02mm. I performed the test with and without a second guide fence, and with the edge sensor mounted to look at the trailing edge of the board, to eliminate variation at the point where the leading edge mashes into the imaging rollers. The numbers are distances in mm from the board edge to the image. The standard deviations are given in bold after the rule.

Submitted by jeff on Fri, 03/09/2007 - 15:21. categories [ ]